- Make sure the child drinks enough fluid. Often there is a loss of appetite.
- Inhaling warm, moist air may relieve the cough. Warm drinks may also help.
- Cough mixtures are of little help, but salbutamol syrup may relieve the cough.
- Give paracetamol for the fever.
- Oral antibiotics should only be given if the mucus becomes yellow-green.
It is important to observe for signs of pneumonia, especially in small children. A wheeze suggests asthma or bronchiolitis. Bouts of severe coughing with an inspiratory whoop, apnoea or vomiting suggest whooping cough.