- When started early it can prevent severe damage to the immune system and thereby prevent severe, recurrent opportunistic infections.
- If the immune system is already damaged, it allows partial recovery and lessens the risk of opportunistic infections.
- With an improvement in the functioning of the immune system, the child will start to thrive and feel much better.
- In the future, it is hoped that new developments in antiretroviral therapy may be able to cure HIV infection.
- With antiretroviral therapy AIDS is a chronic, manageable disease.
Early, correct treatment of HIV infection can enable children to enjoy a good quality of life for many years.