- Know what grants are available to children, which children are eligible for grants, and the process of obtaining child grants.
- Identify children who are eligible for grants.
- Inform parents or caregivers about available grants.
- Help with the process of applying for grants by referring parents or caregivers to the social security department and by getting medical reports completed.
- As most grants are targeted at poor families an income means test will be needed.
In South Africa applications must be submitted through special social workers in the Department of Social Security and Population Development. Applications may need a medical certificate and processing through the Children’s Court.
The caregiver’s identity document, the child’s birth certificate, and proof of the financial status of the household will be needed for the application.